Certifications and licenses needed by plumbers, HVAC technicians and electricians vary from state to state. Learn more about your state’s required certifications and licenses by clicking here.

Nate Certification

NATE certification opens doors for you, allowing you to obtain a job or advance in your chosen profession. The US Military agrees.

Not only does the US military award promotion points for servicemen earning NATE certification, the Department of Veterans Affairs licensing and certification benefit allows the VA to pay the licensing and certification fees for all eligible veterans.image of NATE logo

  • Veterans can receive up to $2000 per NATE exam but not more than the actual cost of the test.
  • Veterans may receive benefits to retake a failed exam.
  • Veterans may take unlimited tests, however, benefits will not be reissued for exams successfully completed.

(Please note: The VA only pays for the test and not other expenses associated with obtaining a license or certification.)

From the day a NATE-certified military service member deploys, their NATE certification is deferred until they return, ensuring that the technician comes back to work with the same qualifications as when he or she left.  Upon their return, the technician receives all new NATE certification documents and the expiration date of their certification is extended to reflect their time in service.

Click here to learn more about NATE certification.

NFPA Certification

National Fire Protection Association certification can advance your career. Today’s public is demanding evidence of competency from professionals in their practice specialties. Certification is an important credential that can help you to meet this need.image of nfpa logo

  • Gain professional recognition from your peers and others
  • Demonstrate your knowledge and competence
  • Document your commitment to your profession
  • Create your career path

Click here to learn more about NFPA Certification.

Veterans Benefits

You may obtain more information about Veteran’s Benefits by calling 1-888-GIBILL1 or visitingwww.gibill.va.gov.


Eastern Region
VA Regional Office, PO Box 4616, Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
This office serves: CT, DE, DC, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV and foreign schools.

Central Region
VA Regional Office, PO Box 66830, St Louis, MO 63166-6830.
This office serves: CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, ND, SD, WI, and WY.

Western Region
VA Regional Office, PO Box 89888, Muskogee, OK 74402-888.
This office serves AK, AZ, CA, HI, ID, NM, NV, OK, OR, TX, UT, WA, and Pacific Islands.

Southern Region
VA Regional Office, PO Box 100022, Decatur, GA 30031-7022.

Information on this page from NATEX.org. Click here to visit their site and learn more.


Additional Resources

The following resources are not related to Troops To Trades, but we encourage you to click on the links to learn more and to see if they can help you!

Mesothelioma Guide

Have a resource for veterans that you would like to add to the page? Click here and fill out our form!

Contact Us